Monday, September 30, 2013

Diigo v. Scoop.it

I would like to begin by saying that this was a venture into previously unheard of territory for me today. I had never heard of either of these sites but after checking them out, I undoubtedly know what I would and would not use and where my preferences lie. I've answered some questions about the two that are posted below and you can feel free to check out!
Oh, and it may be relevant to look at my comments in relation to the pages I made today. Feel free to check out my diigo or scoop.it!
  • Can you highlight text in saved articles?
    On diigo? Yes, most certainly. On scoop.it? I don't really know that I can do anything useful with that site so I'm going to guess no.
  • Can you use multiple tags?
    On diigo, yes! Scoop.it is more about grouping things than tagging them, I think. It seems less organized.
  • Can others post comments on your site?
    I believe that people can comment on either of my websites by offering recommendations as they see fit and sending me more links. 
  • Can you follow others?  Can they follow you?
    I can follow whoever I want on either site!
  • Are you offered suggestions for related articles?
    Diigo is more of a free-for-all resource so a lot of the suggestions I get are from the web pages that I am visiting, but I can use following to get other suggestions if I please! On scoop.it I get suggestions as well but they seem to be pretty hard to fine-tune without some excessive keywording. I haven't figured out how to narrow down the websites to be useful yet.
  • Would you continue to use either of these?  Which?  Why?
    I will continue to use diigo. I think that it is a useful bookmarking tool and I love that I can organize my bookmarks, that the tool is extremely easily accessed, how effectively I can annotate, and that I can access my bookmarks from any resource. This site is simple but effective and I think that it is extremely practical. I don't want to use scoop. it again. I had a very hard time finding links that actually fit my category and I think that I can do a better job finding websites for a given category by using google than by using one of my topics on this website. Once I found someone else's scoops in an unknown way through their topic, I had a much better time but I still feel that this site was unnecessarily complicated. I also got extremely annoyed that it felt it necessary to post tweets for me because I registered with twitter and did not remember to unclick the box each time.
To keep it short and simple, diigo = useful, organized, cool. Scoop.it = something that I am either not using correctly or that is simply not what I am looking for in a website.

1 comment:

  1. Diigo is my personal preference too for many of the reasons that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete